Thursday, April 3, 2008

Wowwikkis!

Ahh, the wide world of the wikki, how I browse through you plentiful pages and abundant information swelling towards my eyes. I myself have been a rather fond user of Wikipedia over the last few years to find out information, though I have to say I have never been one myself to use it for any academic purposes, strictly for recreational research, such as music (yes I'm rather obsessed). I've always loved the aspect that anyone can contribute, with some doing so more professionally (or should I say more thoroughly) than others. For example contributor may add information complete with references to print or even links to online articles, whilst other may put in entries and leave a citation needed remark.

So my perusal of the examples given this week was quite interesting. I loved the Wookieepedia as I am one hell of a nutter for all things star wars, and I think I may even subscribe to it. It has everything for the casual fan to the die hard enthusiast.

the SJCPL Subject Guides wiki was an interesting way of linking resources that are available within a library under broad headings to help narrow their searches by offering direct links to the catalogue. I liked the idea but I think the presentation and headings need to be simplified to make it more user friendly, but otherwise its a great resource to use in conjunction with the catalogue.

As for the Book Lovers Wiki I think this is a wonderful resource that my own library is hoping to implement, perhaps with links to these reviews via the catalogue and vice versa. I feel this is a great way for patrons to get their opinions heard and assist with selection of resources, or simply to tell the inter world what they thought of an item. I think I would be to prone to long rambling essays much like the emails I send to my friends.

As for Library use? Well I think a broad genre listing of resources and reviews that clients can edit would go a long way in securing a the continued partnership between the library and its users.

0 comments: