Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Editing a Wiki

So I decided I would take up the adventure and Look up the entries of my Former hometown Coffs Harbour to have a look at what the general populace decided was an adequate representation of my old stomping ground. I was very pleased that they included the fact that its is in fact misspelled naming of the original founder a Mr. Korff, at least his relatives can know that wiki users know the truth.

I was actually interested in adding to the wiki in the capacity of informing the population of the web about a suburb that had come and gone in Sawtell, The area known as Bayldon. It existed for quite awhile when I was growing up and the area was expanding, but then was renamed 'East Toormina', which I believe at the time was due to a stigma attached to the local denizens of the aforementioned zone, or so the papers would have you believe.

Of course whilst it would be good to include this information, I don't have any resources to back up my editing. This is my biggest issue with wikipedia, someone may know some information to be true, but without the facts to back it up, how are you to know if they have somehow been misinformed? and if people are to use wiki's more and more as a resource of information, you would hope it is built on reliable resources.

0 comments: