Thursday, March 11, 2010

igoogle: the latest tool for ivillains

Looking at the interface for igoogle got me thinking: it really does remind me of ye olde super-villains with their underground lairs, poor reading light, and masses of monitors and gadgets to endlessly scheme at new ways of being a menace to society. to think that rather than needing a device for every pot they wanted their finger in, it has all been condensed onto one screen! though if they were an uber new age villain I guess they would spread it across two 30" screens just to make sure they are the envy of the villain fraternity. And to think of all savings they will make on electricity and hardware! Still, this will no doubt be offset by their high download needs as well as masking their IP address. but I digress...

So whilst my world domination plans have been on the shelf of late, I figured I'd at least set up my online interface so can jump right in, like I'd never aspired to be a wild mannered librarian. email, favourite blogs of musical contemporaries, I could go on forever! All the most useful plug ins as well, I'm sure they even have links to your flickr...err I mean Picasa online photos of the family to be just like that old workstation at home, and thousands of the most useful gadgets/widgets I'm sure.

Was that a tone of trepidation at the installation of this intrepid destination to my 2.1 exploration? Yes. whilst handy as it is indeed, I still find it to be an over glorified favourites list. I will admit is is great to use as a glance and pick out what info that interests you, but often anything you want to view will take you to another site. Still, I can see with the right concoction of widgets it would be a most powerful tool.

Ping on the other hand is a wonderful way to get that old 'I have command of your airwave dreams mwahahaha' feeling that all villains aspire to for shock and awe tactics, a must to get your fingers into peoples ears, or pull theirs out of them per se. a definite advantage to any institute that wants to post info across platforms, but one must be wary of the different uses and audiences one encounters across these: posting everything to everyone may not be the wisest. Definitely worth libraries investing in.

43 Marks and allmyfaves look interesting, especially the logolicious output of the latter, sure to dazzle any marketing image fixated people. its also a good way for users to see what other services are on offer in your 2.0 field of choice. Whilst I will keep them in mind for my own use, I think they would prove to be a handy tool for library users, especially allmyfaves.

0 comments: