Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Documenting google: style guide

Well I figure google docs does indeed have its own style, and the latest 2.1 installment is the guide, like a librarian in a digital stack. Possibly maybe, probably no. After trying to F5 my memory on how this little feature functions via some plain English, YouTube seems to have decided to be of no assistance, or perhaps telling me I do not need it, like Obi-Wan coercing Luke to 'use the force'. It seems YouTube will only take you so far. Time to use some of that intuition!

Now back in my 2.0 days I was quite impressed with the power of google docs, but remember having to shift my mind from the storing in private @ home versus the potential of online collaboration on the net. The fact that this was nigh on two years ago is still a little startling,.
realising for all my good intent I haven't used it at all. Promises and words it seems. First handy hint off the block was now I can upload and store fines into docs! quite impressed indeed, especially if downloading word or excel documents onto a computer without said programs.

The ability to see revisions is also handy for documents you have worked on or collaborated with people, not only to see added/omitted information, but the documents progress. Had a quick look at the 12 things about google docs, some not so useful but the power to make your browser via toolbar plug ins your word processor is a very handy tool indeed.

Had a play around with making a quick form, useful tool to make quick tests our questionnaires. Sadly my enquiry to the 100 tips on docs use was met with indiffernent server failure, once more a portent that I am best to rely on my own intuition, always.

0 comments: