Thursday, March 18, 2010

I think, therefore IM.

Instant messaging, not so instant is it really? I mean, I still have to type, wait for my Internet connection, the program to display. Even with voice operated systems I still need to verbalise my thought. Wheres the ESP? now that would be useful for instant messaging! but as I have yet to achieve such cerebellum feats of communication, I will direct my focus this instant to this instance of Instant Messaging.

So far my interaction with messaging has come in many forms. From Blogging whenever I feel like it or in later response to something I've read (similar to thinking of the ultimate comeback to a debilitating and social life threatening insult), to using IM chat on MSN Messenger, Facebook, and MMORPG games (the equivalent to that lightning quick riposte to a verbal vapulation, a most satisfying feeling for all involved). Another other joy with instant messaging is you can actually tell when a conversation is getting a little one sided, with a textual onslaught bleeding across you little chat receptacle, or even to the point of chatting to an offline friend (at that stage its best to switch to email).

Anyhow, Whilst I've had limited usage of skype, I have utilised online voice software often used for games, Ventrillo being one. You could even use this for conference calling, or a cheap way for endless conversation (as long as your Internet holds out). Hell I've even used it to talk to my mum.

Webcams however are where I draw the line. My pixelated moving image does nothing for my online persona's self esteem, and would hate to see my attempts to give someone 'the look' turn into a digitised blasphemous expression due to video compression. Diminishing returns people! In essence though I like the majesty of the written word for long distance communique times, and there is always the dog and bone.

Twitter as always seems interesting to me in a way, but I have yet to be compelled to jump aboard. The hash tagging is interesting, but with only 140 words to dispose on a discussion, it invariable ends in links to be a means to and end. In essence I compare it to posting newspaper headlines with a link to the article. ANd I don't like newspaper headlines at the best of times.

Once again my two cents, rounded down.

1 comments:

pls@slnsw said...

Thanks for this post. I like the way you describe your experiences with IM and other online communication methods. Thanks also for the helpful hints about IM usage as well.

Ellen (PLS)